Freeport in early discussions to increase copper mine rights in Indonesia

US-based mining firm Freeport-McMoRan is in preliminary talks with the Indonesian Authorities to increase its rights to the Grasberg copper mine previous 2041, reported through Reuters citing the corporate CEO.

The transfer comes because the publicly traded mining firm seems to be to proceed as a ‘dominant international producer’ of copper, which is required for the vitality transition.

Positioned within the province of Papua, Grasberg is claimed to carry one of many world’s largest copper and gold deposits.

In 2018, Indonesian state-owned enterprise PT Indonesia Asahan Aluminium (Persero) (PT Inalum) bought a 51.2% stake in Freeport McMoRan’s subsidiary PT Freeport Indonesia. Freeport owns the remaining 48.8% curiosity.

PT Freeport Indonesia operates the Grasberg copper and gold mining district in Papua.

Additionally in 2018, Freeport additionally signed an settlement with the Indonesian Authorities whereby the agency was granted a particular mining allow to proceed ore extraction till 2041.

Throughout the LME Week convention in London, UK, Freeport-McMoRan CEO Richard Adkerson was quoted by Reuters as saying: “We’re working with the Indonesian Authorities about probably extending our rights to function Grasberg past 2041.

“These are early stage discussions, however now we have a long run view.”

Freeport is presently developing a copper smelter in Indonesia and is increasing the Grasberg mine as a part of its $14bn funding plan introduced in 2018.

Freeport-McMoRan is claimed to be a key producer in South America and the US. Its presence in Indonesia dates again to 50 years.

Similar Articles



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here



Most Popular