Rio completes $3.1bn purchase of Turquoise Hill

PERTH ( – Mining main Rio Tinto has accomplished the $3.1-billion acquisition of twin listed Turquoise Hill Sources, simplifying the possession of the Oyu Tolgoi copper mine in Mongolia.

Turquoise Hill shareholders earlier this month authorised the C$43 a share money provide from Rio for the remaining 49% curiosity within the firm which Rio didn’t already personal.

With the Turquoise Hill transaction full, Rio now holds a 66% direct curiosity within the Oyu Tolgoi mission with the remaining 34% owned by the federal government of Mongolia by Erdenes Oyu Tolgoi.

“Oyu Tolgoi is an impressive asset with unimaginable individuals that can ship important long-term worth for Rio Tinto and Mongolia,” Rio CEO Jakob Stausholm mentioned.

“I want to acknowledge the Turquoise Hill board and administration, below the management of Peter Gillin and Steve Thibeault, for his or her appreciable effort and help over time, working in partnership with Rio Tinto and the Authorities of Mongolia in growing Oyu Tolgoi right into a world-class mine. I want to provide my greatest needs to every of them for the long run.”

Rio Tinto copper CEO Daring Baatar mentioned this acquisition additional strengthens the corporate’s copper portfolio, as a part of its technique to develop in supplies the world wants for reaching internet zero and delivering long-term worth for its shareholders.

“We now have an easier and extra environment friendly possession and governance construction, with our accomplice the Authorities of Mongolia, as we proceed collectively in direction of sustainable manufacturing from the underground mine.”

Turquoise Hill has grow to be a completely owned subsidiary of Rio Tinto and Turquoise Hill shares will stop buying and selling on the TSX and the NYSE.

Similar Articles



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here



Most Popular